Growing up in Scotland, if there was ever a room available in the roof space, there would be a fight amongst the siblings for it. The top of the house was the coolest place to be as a teenager and as an adult, it is a pretty cool place also. It is so quiet up there and you really do have time to yourself. However, some of these loft conversions are missing something really important, and it is windows on the roof. Wouldn’t it have been great as a teenager to look up at the night sky and imagine living on a planet or a star.
Well, it’s now possible and more and more people are having roof windows fitted in their homes. These roof windows in Scotland have opened up new possibilities in our homes and we will look at some of the great benefits they contribute to our homes and to our lives.
- More Light – Roof windows give us that natural daylight that we love coming into our homes. It is known to give direct health benefits like improved morale, reduction in eye strain, reduction in tiredness and generally a more positive attitude. A great quality roof window not only looks great but it provides all of these health benefits also. This need for more light will also save you money on your electric bills and may also help to heat the room, if there is a little sunshine.
- More Ventilation – Roof windows provide great ventilation into the room. It catches the wind and pushes it into the room, allowing for greater circulation and lots of fresh air. Most kids, and increasingly, adults, spend the vast majority of their time indoors and so it is critical that there is lots of fresh air inside. Humidity in Scottish homes has been known to cause illnesses such as asthma and so fresh air is required to keep the dampness out of the room.
- Thermal Comfort – Utility bills are rising every year as we attempt to keep our homes warm in Winter and cool in the hot Summer months. Admittedly, we don’t get many warm Summer months in Scotland, but when we do, we need some way to vent the room and cool it down. Properly designed roof windows can assist with this and these thermal comforts have real impacts on our overall health. It affects our sleep patterns and our overall productivity.
- Sound Insulation – Roof windows protect us from all the noise outside. If you live near a main road then you hear the constant noise of trucks and cars passing all the time. A quiet room is conducive to relaxation and good studying, if you are a student. On the flip side, if you wanted to hear a bird singing in a nearby tree, then you can pop open your roof window and listen to its beautiful song.
Installing a roof window creates space in a room as well as allowing natural light to flow inside. It provides a great view of the sky and stars and is a welcome addition to any home.
Latest posts by Katie (see all)
- Knowing Your Body: How to Time Your Contractions During Labor? - 21st November 2018
- A Splash of Water: 8 Water Guns Your Son Will Love Playing With - 14th November 2018
- Treat Yourself to a Spa Weekend Holiday - 10th October 2018