Since the onset of the industrial revolution, environmental damage caused by carbon emissions has continued to rise. There are many countries around the world that depend on fossil fuels to power industries and most importantly, transportation. As economies grow, vehicles become more and more affordable for the common citizen. This has resulted in traffic jams, congestion in cities, and unprecedented carbon emissions.
In recent years, private and public sectors have made decisive efforts to reduce carbon emissions coming from vehicles. In the United Kingdom alone, the transportation sector produces one-third of the total carbon emissions released into the air. As a way to mitigate this, many are turning to environment-friendly transport options. One specific example is the rising popularity of hybrid cars.
Benefits of Hybrid Cars
There has been much debate on the benefits of using a hybrid car. Looking at it in detail, here are the advantages of a hybrid car over traditional fuel-powered vehicles:
- The most obvious benefit is reduced fuel cost. Hybrid cars have dual engines running on both electricity and petrol. Since you get higher mileage for every gallon of petrol you buy, hybrid cards are especially attractive to people with long daily commutes to work.
- Another notable benefit of a hybrid car is fewer carbon emissions. Perhaps one of its selling points is the fact that it helps reduce greenhouse gases, especially in major urban areas.
- Hybrid cars do not idle. This means that when it is rolled to a stop, the internal combustion engine shuts down and the battery pack takes over. This helps in conserving fuel and lessening emissions.
- Owners of hybrid cars have additional tax incentives from the government. It is a fact that hybrid cars cost more, but the public sector is also doing its part to encourage more people to use hybrids instead.
Other great news in the development of hybrid cars is that there are more manufacturers following suit and coming up with their own models. This results in more research and development to come up with better models that consumers can choose from.
Hybrid Cars for Private Transport
Hybrid cars are also being considered by transport companies as a better option to traditional cars. These days, there is greater consciousness from consumers to look for environment-friendly transportation. In the United Kingdom, for example, Green Tomato Cars is a private taxi service exclusively using a fleet of hybrid cars to transport customers. They have pioneered the use of eco-friendly transportation and continue to do so after more than a decade of operation. It will be no surprise that more companies will follow suit and embrace eco-friendly vehicles as more and more people are also doing every little bit that they can to reduce their carbon footprint.
What You Can Do to Help
There are many ways an average individual can help. If you are a commuter, you can start by patronising hybrid buses and train travel. Hybrid taxi services are also an excellent choice if you are looking for a more private and exclusive way to get around. By being more conscientious with the mode of travel you choose, you are taking a small step towards helping the environment.
- Need to target your website’s advertising? A guide to the patient attraction system - 5th February 2021
- What is orthodontic treatment? - 28th January 2021
- Correlation between dental aesthetics and confidence is clear - 6th January 2021